Sunday, August 03, 2008

Illustrated journals


There are lots of sunflowers blooming now and I took a bunch for my office and did a quick sketch of them at lunch the other day then filled in with some colour and information around the image.

I haven't done many detailed pages like this for quite awhile and I enjoyed producing the simple sketch, colour and words. There are endless talented artists whose sole work is producing interesting illustrated journals which are a treasure to look through. There is something appealing about illustrated journal pages. Its liking having an inside look into someone else's life in more detail - just my own in this case!

4 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

This is a lovely page...I do so enjoy looking at illustrated journals but they are quite hard work to keep going! I have a couple started and stopped, and my current one is coming up for two years old and still not quite finished...I guess it doesn't matter how long they take to get done!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Cathy. I love reading these journals too. They sometimes take planning, other times they just flow. I know think I could keep them up regularly but the odd page here and there makes a sketchbook interesting.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Gorgeous journal page, Jeanette - the appeal is that they are so personal and your's is particularly so. Great sketch of the sunflowers and I love the 'oops'.

I find creating journal pages can become a distraction from getting on with painting, if that is what one actually wants to do but I imagine they will be precious to families in the future.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Robyn, I use them now and then to break a slump. They're a good change of pace, but I don't know that I could do a book of them.

The 'oops' happened when a bird flew into the window and startled me. (the bird survived) I moved my hand too quickly and a splodge of ink fell on the page. Everything has a story.... :)