Tuesday, August 05, 2008

When I'm 84

84
line drawing, graphite 11 x 14
copyright Jeanette Jobson


It was my mother's birthday on July 31st, but we had a party on Sunday for her. I can see time's changes in her more and more and the years go by. She denies her age constantly and I'm sure she's fixed in her 50s or 60s and doesn't believe time has played this trick on her, making her 84.

My mother and I have a relationship that has never been an easy one, even now. I try to assist in her life when I can, but its hard to do when the other person is unwilling. There are a lot of issues, going back over many years and I choose not to dwell on them most of the time.

I had taken some photos at the party and found one that I thought I would draw. My mother hates photos of herself and would also dislike a drawing of herself as well, especially one that showed her age or characteristics that she denies.

I recall sketching a portrait of my father many years ago and he had a small moustache. I went to her house one day and saw the portrait tucked away and the moustache was missing. I asked her about it and she said she never liked that moustache so she erased it!

4 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

Hee hee hee :oD Oh that is funny! Don't you find trying to draw someone makes you feel really tender towards that person, in spite of ongoing battles or personality clashes? This looks like a very tender portrait on the way...

Jeanette Jobson said...

I think drawing a person, no matter what the relationship causes you to remember both good and bad aspects of life. You examine another person in minute detail you can't help but become involved.

Rose Welty said...

I don't think your mother is alone in the denial of being an octogenarian...runs rampant in my family! :D

Jennifer Rose said...

*snicker* thats funny :)
yeah she definitely isn't alone in disliking photos and drawings of oneself. Most people don't like seeing how other people think they look. :/