Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Heirlooms in progress

Heirlooms
coloured pencil 9 x 12
copyright Jeanette Jobson

I'm working my way through my stash of art supplies and have to admit that I'm not too tempted to buy extra things when I'm out. I'm sticking with my stash diet and its not at all painful. Either that or I have wayyyyyy too much stuff in my art cupboard.

In my stash is a set of Colourfix paper that I bought from Sterling Art on my trip to southern California last year. I haven't really used it much and decided it was time to put it to the test as well as break out my coloured pencils which I haven't used for awhile either.

I've been growing heirloom varieties of tomatoes this year and they come in all sizes, shapes and colours, as well as being delicious. I was debating with myself whether to draw hops or tomatoes. The colour in the tomatoes won and I chose a piece of dark grey Colourfix 9 x 12. This is the starting layer of colour on the piece. The photo isn't wonderful taken under artificial light with my camera this evening.

I quite like how the pencils go on to the sanded paper and even rather like how I can keep a decent point on the pencil by turning in on the rough surface. I'm not sure how the overall texture will work with the smoothness of tomatoes so I''ll reserve judgement on that til later into the drawing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tomatoes are looking good Jeanette...I have tried colourfix before, but it seems to eat up my CPs.