Friday, June 26, 2009

Trees in bulk

Trees behind the barn
graphite 8 x 10 Moleskine

When I sit on the sofa in the living room and look straight ahead, this is part of my view. The wood shed attached to the barn and trees, trees, trees. I am surrounded very literally, by trees. As a visitor commented, they seem impenetrable, they grow so thickly. So drawing them as they grow is a challenge.

There are a variety of trees; aspen, poplar, birch, juniper, pine, spruce and labernum are all in my view here. Then there are the honeysuckle shrubs and lilacs which are the forerunners for the trees.

So how to tackle them? Simplification seems the best method. I try for overall shapes and values then start adding more form and depth to them. As I don't want minute detail at this distance, it seems to work well. I don't have to worry about individual leaves or textures, just the impression that the trees give 'en masse'.

2 comments:

Robyn Sinclair said...

Very successful approach to your mass of trees, Jeanette. They are huge and wonderful.

FitFoodieMegha said...

I liked the graphite work...You did it so well! :)