Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Deconstructed apple




Ah yes, you didn't think you'd get away that easily did you?  Yes, Virginia, there are more apples...

In fact there are more apples than I could possibly have time to draw or paint in a lifetime.  And in the Apple Challenge, there are even more.  You still have until October 15th to pop your version of an apple into the comments section and links to all of them will be added as soon as possible after the challenge finishes.

For this piece, its another macro view, this time of an apple cut in half.  Its quite ingenious how the seeds are protected within the heavy layer of flesh, each within its own little pocket, sometimes twin seeds in a section.

Looking at it from this perspective, it may be difficult to even recognize it as an apple.  This in done with coloured pencil on brown paper in my Earthbound sketchbook.  I wanted it to be subdued so used mostly sepia with a touch of ochre and venetian red and white for highlights.

7 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

This is subtle and beautiful. Love all your apples. I did one on Gene's iPhone I will try to get it posted in time.

Jennifer Rose said...

really like how you did the edges of the pockets, nice rough edges. :)

love the star shape you can get cutting the apple.its a nice different take for the challenge :)

Grobuonis said...

Fantastic!

Pat said...

I was hoping you would do more apples. This one is so lovely and gentle.

Jeanette Jobson said...

You did an apple on his phone?? Now I'm curious Jo.

Thanks Jennifer. I wanted a different viewpoint and started from the inside. :)

Thank you Grobunius

I hope to fit in a few more apples yet Pat. Thanks for your kind comments.

Cathy Gatland said...

Love this - I think it says 'apple' quite clearly!

Lindsay said...

I've had a lovely time getting caught up with you since my web vacation. I love this one of the apple pips! What a great idea and I love your idea to list other posts one on Thanksgiving. Even if it's a bit late, Happy Thanksgiving.