Saturday, April 03, 2010

Ambitious Peep

Ambitious Peep
9 x 12  watercolour


I have distinct likes and dislikes in foods and it usually is a texture issue.  Marshmallow is one of those things that I cannot abide, smelling it, touching or (shudder) eating it.

However, I had seen shelves full of Easter treats for the past month or more and one of them was the culprit - Peeps.  Pure marshmallow covered in bright shells of coloured sugar.  I kept meaning to buy them as they appealed in shape and colour for future paintings.

Then a few days ago Chris Beck had posted about the challenge she had with Jelaine Faunce and Pablo Villicana Lara in her blog, I'm Painting As Fast As I Can.  They each had created a piece around Peeps.  I strongly encourage you to go visit all three artists and images, they are priceless.

So, with images of Peeps in my head, and a box of the (shudder) marshmallow candy in my studio I played around with various Peeps images. The result was the cross between a Peep and a goose egg.

This watercolour is about 9 x 12.  Thanks for the extra inspiration Chris, Jelaine and Pablo!  Happy Easter!

11 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

really nice watercolor :) nice spring colours

i love Peeps :D but you can't get them here, so mom is keeping her eye out in Alberta for me and is going to mail me some if she can find them lol

Billie Crain said...

Little guy with big ideas! Cute concept for a painting, Jeanette.:) It certainly appeals to my sense of humor.

I'm not crazy about marshmallows either but I especially dislike Peeps. Seems they become stale and gummy the moment they're taken out of their packaging.

Stacy said...

Jeanette, Peeps are made just a short way from where I live. In fact the company has a Peeps car - a yellow Volkswagon beetle with a rather large Peep on top - which I just saw driving around the other day. It was a strange sight!

I really like your watercolor. It's full of humor and you got that characteristic shape spot on!

Billie, I actually think the Peeps taste better when they are stale. I don't like them too chewy and gooey.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I wish you were closer Jennifer, I'd be passing on the Peeps, as here, they're only going into the bin once they've fulfilled their artistic use.

I like art that makes people smile. I couldn't eat a marshamallow anything Billie, not if my life depended on it. yuck

Stacy, I can just imagine that yellow car with a big Peep on top. Eye catching no doubt!

Simple shapes often make the best pieces don't they?

Unknown said...

I can't stand to eat them either, Jeanette - but I adore this painting - so simple, so clever, so good!

Chris Beck said...

Deeeeelightful!!! Love the humor and the painting!!

You could have fun with them before you throw them away -- a friend recommends "sumo peeps" -- I can't vouch for the safety of this, but he says you put a bit of salad oil on a plate, add two peeps and put in the microwave!! Don't know if you're supposed to run it on high or low, but he claims it is highly amusing!!

RH Carpenter said...

Love it! ha ha Just catching up after being away on vacation and had to come over after seeing this one on the sidebar! Now I'll have to check out the other 3 because I know they will be fun and colorful!
It's good to be back :)

RH Carpenter said...

BTW, these have to be really the most disgusting things to eat - but you're right about them making pretty good subjects for painting - might go out after Easter weekend and get some, too.

Adventures in Art said...

I love your PEEP! It is so precious perched on top of the egg.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Diahn, glad there's another peep disliker in the midst. :)

Chris thanks. It was fun to paint this little study.

I have visions of exploding Peeps in the microwave with 'sumo peeps'!

I hope you had a great vacation Rhonda. Its good to get a break. Glad you like the Peep. Yes do go get some and play around. I'd love to see what you do with one.

Adventures, thank you for taking time to comment. The peep and the goose egg seemed made for each other.

Pablo VillicaƱa Lara said...

Great painting! Wonderful touch! I don't like marshmallows either, and if it wasn't for the sugar coat and my kids insisting I eat one with them, I wouldn't eat peeps at all. I'm really enjoying your blogssssssss. . . Thanks for stopping by mine!