Sunday, March 28, 2010

Portrait update - mother



I've been slowly working on this portrait of my mother, doing a few minutes here and there and its starting to come together now.  The start of the portrait is here.

Its on a full sheet (22 x 30) of Stonehenge paper.  This is velvety smooth with a good tooth and holds the charcoal well without giving out.

I've finished most of the face but will be refining it more with values and the hair as well.  Now I'm working on the endless sofa cover pattern.  It has a floral design which may be the end of me.  I'm not sure how much detail I'll get into on this, it depends on how it goes and how much I can stand!

For now I'm working left to right developing pattern and values for it. Its unlikely that my mother will ever see the piece, as she doesn't like images of herself in any form.  Left in her hands, she'd likely destroy it.  We all have self images that never seem to match another's vision, but hers is rather extreme.  And at 85 its sure not going to change.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Don't let your mother get her hands on this one! It is lovely and natural looking.

Billie Crain said...

I think this a very beautiful and sensitive portrait of your mother. My only thought regarding the heavily patterned sofa...show the greatest amount of detail near your mother and only 'hint' at the pattern as the eye moves away from the main subject. I think it would work and save you a lot of time spent on something that's not that terribly important to the piece.

A Brush with Color said...

Oh, this is beautiful, Jeanette! I think I'd agree with Billie and what she suggests--that makes sense to the composition here. Looks great!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Toni.

No, I don't think she'll be near this one Elizabeth.

Good advice Billie. I think that trailing it off almost into nothingness is an option also. Its easier and has symbolism too.

Sue thanks. Yes, I think that may be the way to go with this.

Jan said...

Wonderful, Jeanette! I agree with the others as far as the sofa detail goes. If it's a very busy pattern, it might take away from the portrait itself.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thank you Jan. Yes, I think making the pattern recede a bit will help bring her into focus more.

Unknown said...

Jeanette, I swear we must have the same mother. Mine is 84 and you really have to hide every picture you have of her. Somehow I think your mother would love this portrait, maybe make a copy to show her.

Making A Mark said...

Wonderful! Very sensitive and affectionate