Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Hot toddies

 Hot Toddies
6 x 7.5 on 8 x 10

I haven't done much printing for awhile as an old injury to my finger became painful with the pressure to cut the harder lino blocks.  Warming the lino helps but cutting for half and hour or more leaves my hand sore.

I'd tucked away this piece when it was about half finished then hauled it out tonight.  I have a miserable cold and nothing was inspiring me.  I wanted something simple that didn't take a lot of thinking to work with so thought I'd try this one again.

I cut out the rest of the lines for it and tried a few prints on masa paper.  There are a few areas that aren't inked as well as they could be.  Then a few specks of cut lino sneaked in, but I got what I set out to do.  At least for tonight.  Now I'm off to find a real hot toddy!

5 comments:

Billie Crain said...

I like this one a lot. The glass mugs look glassy and the steam looks very believable. Make a BIG hot toddy for yourself and get a good night's sleep. Works wonders on colds.:)

RH Carpenter said...

I've never done anything like this - interesting effect but I can imagine cutting into the lino block could be painful. Hope your hot toddy gave you a good night's sleep and hope you're well soon.

Lori-Lee Thomas said...

When I first moved to St. John's last year I had my very first Hot toddy. It was... interesting. lol Nothing beats good ol' Vicks vapor rub though.

Hope you feel better soon! And I can't help but be amazed that you still feel inspired enough to create even when sick. :-) Kudos to you!

Lori

Peggy Montano & Paintings said...

I am amazed also that you have posted even though being sick. Take care of yourself.

Hot Toddy is something I remember from childhood that my mother would say that I needed.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Billie. its not quite where I want it to be so a little more carving will happen.

Its good fun to work with Rhonda. I just have a screwy finger that acts up after pressure.

The cold will go in its own time. I just hate having it.

Lori, I had my first hot toddy in a bar in rural Ireland. Different too. :)

I think its more ingrained habit than inspiration to keep going.

Peggy, I used to be able to inhale my father's hot toddies when I was a child, but was never allowed to taste them. They always smelled good and I could never understand why I wasn't allowed to have them.

I was given a sanitized version as a child.