Saturday, December 04, 2010

Water study



I don't dabble in abstraction often, but that doesn't mean to say that I don't enjoy that art stream.  I've always been pulled in the direction of representational art.

I've had an idea in my head for ages of a piece that I want to create that is quite abstract but based on reality.  Reflections on water that is moving slightly gives a complex form that at first glance is seen as colours and shapes, but when explained, becomes very clear as to the subject.

Its that mix of the two that I want to create and I have created a 6 x 6 acrylic study of where I want to go generally with this.  I will draw out the final piece this weekend and make a start on it using oils.  I wanted a large square format,but the only square canvas I could find today was 20 x 20", not that large.  The art store in town decided in the spring to close on Saturdays, so unless I make a special trip there during the week, I'm out of luck for instant gratification.  So I'll work on 20 x 20 for  now and if that works out as I plan, I may try another water reflection piece on a larger scale.

13 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Ohhh.., I love this: the complementary blues-orange. the intriguing design and shapes, the dark upper right vs the reflection of the sky in the water! A very rich study! The larger size is oils should be awesome!

Billie Crain said...

I like this too, Jeanette! The finished canvas would look amazing float mounted w/black and gold.

Susan Liles said...

Fantastic! Love the reflection, so many possibilities with this subject.
Great colors and shapes.

Pat said...

Stunning!
Looking forward to seeing the larger piece xx

Anonymous said...

Love the way this piece keeps me looking and seeing different things Jeanette!

Jennifer Rose said...

there is a lot of movement in this piece, well done :D
i can see so many shapes and even a few faces :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Christiane, its a bit of puzzle putting it all together, and I'll work on the main piece as I get time.

Yes, that framing choice would work well and give lots of contrast. Right now this study is on gallery canvas.

I've always loved reflections in water Susan. There are many possibilities indeed.

Thanks Pat, it may take me awhile to get going on the larger piece, but I'll be sure to show it.

Tracy, that's part of the interest in abstract designs isn't it? They have so many ways of looking at them, each time differently.

Thanks Jennifer. I guess I was so involved in getting lines correct I didn't really notice shapes forming. The fun of this piece is creating the negative spaces.

Jo Castillo said...

This looks yummy even. Lovely patterns and colors.

RH Carpenter said...

Great colors and patterns in this one - very visually interesting and appealing :) I see several of my blogger friends doing reflections in water right now - I've never tried it (like you said, easy to get lost in creating all that negative space).

vivien said...

gorgeous - the liquidity of the surface is beautifully done

and my husband is as bad at hanging - or putting up shelves in weird places ... if ever I go away without him he seems to have this compulsion to put a shelf up somewhere

Billie Crain said...

I saw some amazing looking floater frames for gallery canvas made by Illusions. I'll leave a link for you. I think this study looks frame worthy!

http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-art-supplies/picture-frames-and-matting/ready-made-wood-frames/illusions-canvas-floater/series-075.html

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Jo.

It looks simple, but complex too Rhonda. Give a few reflections a try, you never know what will come out of it.

Vivien, thanks, its good if that illusion works in this piece. Yes, I don't know what it is about some men and how they need to show accomplishment when we're not around.

Thanks for the link Billie, neat way of framing. This is a small study, just 6 x 6 on 1.5 inch gallery canvas. I 've never seen framing for that. I just leave gallery canvas as is and paint the sides.

JANE MINTER said...

jeanette looks excellent .... beautiful subject .