Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Apple - part II



I finished an oil painting last Friday of an apple, a challenge that was thrown out by one of the members of my local art group.

I wanted to play around with other mediums for it and started the next version in pastel.  Pastel is not in my comfort zone, but I enjoy using it.  I started laying down colour in broad strokes but don't like the final result.  Too bright, too red, too.....I don't know. 

So I wiped out most of the colour, or more like spread it over the paper so there's almost a ghost image instead of the contrast of the blue paper and I like this version more. I'll see what I can do with it, still wanting to keep it more subdued.

This is done on St. Armand paper, made in Montreal.  Its a denim rag paper with a soft tooth.

No comments: