Monday, February 20, 2012

Whelk Shell II


 I couldn't resist another version of the whelk shell hat I painted this weekend, but this time in watercolour.

I haven't used watercolours for awhile and enjoy how the colour merge under the right conditions.  Its always a surprise when they do as I hope they will.  And its always a surprise when they do what I don't expect.


This is about 3 x 6 on 9 x 12 watercolour pad from my newly cleared out stash.  Everytime I clear out cupboards I find little gems tucked away that I have forgetten that I had.  I should have a Stash & Swap Week where artists can find homes for things they no longer want and get new things they'd like to experiment with.  It might work if people don't mind paying for postage, that's always the killer, unless they are local.  Its my dream to stumble upon a garage sale or flea market that has a heaping table full of artist quality supplies going for a song.  I did say it was a dream...

4 comments:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Another lovely shell. Watercolor, oil, you've made both look beautiful.

Love finding art supplies in places like second hand stores, garage sales ... all wonderful surprises.

JANE MINTER said...

beautiful shell jeanette ...love the latest jelly fish too.

Unknown said...

An art swop fab idea, but as you say the postage is the killer.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Nancy, I must dig out some more shells or at least one more perhaps to finish the trio. Mussels perhaps.

They're lovely to paint Jane, thank you.

Perhaps a swap may be an idea for a local event in the summer. I know every artist has a stash of things they'd like to trade.