Friday, February 24, 2012

More puffin



I've literally snatched time this week to work on the puffin painting.  A few minutes in the early morning, a few more in the evening.  I hope to have more time this weekend to put in some serious painting and make inroads into this piece and maybe get the drawing underway for the next piece.

I want to keep the painting a bit looser instead of the tight control that I had in the gannet in the Vertigo painting a few months back.  Its always a fine line with which way to go.  I love high realism detail but also love loose impressionistic pieces too.  The looser pieces feel truer to me somehow and I like the paint to point the direction.


I'm working on adding more shape to the bird and getting the subtle changes in colour of the the body and wings just right.  Too much yellow in the body right now, but I'll get there. Of course night time and artificial lights, yada yada yada.  You know the rest.  Tomorrow a better image under natural light I hope.

7 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

Who can fail to smile at these wonderful, comical, characters. Lovely painting.

Arts Northeast said...

Thanks Sue. Yes, they're lovely, like little clowns.

laura said...

I love his face, and the way you've captured the weight of his body ... The feet are fabulous too!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Ooops signed in with the wrong name in previous comment. It was me though!

Laura, puffins are such cute birds to paint, but I've never painted one before, can you imagine?

I love those rubbery orange feet. :)

Plc training institute in chennai said...

nice idea

am like this

Ytlyntys said...

You are so good, just wanted to tell you that.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Plc, its a more interesting view that the standard bird sitting on a rock I think.

Ytlyntys, thank you.