Sunday, February 19, 2012

Whelk shell


I like testing my ability to work small sometimes and I have three tiny canvas panels that I want to use.  A sea creature theme seems to be emerging for them.  First the jellyfish and now this whelk shell.  Any suggestions for number three?

I cannot resist beaches and everything that I find on them.  Photographing little shells and the colour contained in them is something I enjoy.  We so often think of exotic shells when we consider seashells. Big colourful conch or abalone shells are traditional fodder for painting and they are beautiful.

On the shores of the north Atlantic the shells are more traditionally whelks or  mussels and they can rival any tropical shell for colour and form.  I collected quite a few large whelk shells from St. Mary's beach and stained them with watercolour, creating beautiful ornaments out of them.  I still have one little bag of three left if anyone's interested in them.  And a few more in a Coastal Steamer box.


Meanwhile, this 3 x 5" oil painting is the second of a mini series of mini paintings

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe this is as small as an A6 sketchbook. Amazing detail Jeanette.

suzanneberry said...

i really love this jeanette! beautifully done. i keep thinking of a sea horse.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Its so strange to work on such a small scale Sue. But satisfying as it can be finished fairly quickly.

Suzanne, oh yes, a sea horse, that would be lovely. I'm trying to concentrate on creatures that are 'local'. Unfortunately, no sea horses around here I'm afraid. But how perfect would a sea horse be? They're so cute. I may have to paint one anyway. :)

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Beautifully done Jeanette. We both have interests in the subjects around us. Shells being one of them. I like how you show the chipped part of the shell instead of the other side.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Gorgeous, Precious, Ethereal Work. ...and the size makes it even more special.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Nancy, its easy to gravitate towards perfect little shapes like shells. Imperfection is part of perfection and part of reality.

Gwen, thank you. The minute size seems so tiny, but the actual shell only half that size. Shells are fascinating sculptures.

Nora MacPhail said...

Beautiful painting. You captured the charm and delicacy of a small painting, something that big paintings, although impressive, can lack.
Happy Painting.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Nora. Shells are wonderful subjects to paint and I agree, small can be very effective sometimes.