Friday, April 21, 2006

Art in Newfoundland


Living on a island has benefits and drawbacks artistically. One of the challenges is searching out Newfoundland artists flung throughout the province in every nook and cranny who are creating the most beautiful art.

I have searched out a few blogs and links to art and artists in the province, both as a reference for myself and for those who may be on a similar search.

Gone to the Dogs was my first stop and provided more information that made my research easier. The next no brainer was to head to the Craft Council of Newfoundland and Labrador who act as a reference point for many of the craft and art movement across the province.

After a bit more digging around I found Newfoundland Blogroll, a collection of links to Newfoundland blogs of all types. I've browsed a few and picked out some of artists and some that just interested me.

Artistic Microphage
Painting the Surface
The Truth About Dogs in Black and White
Art in Newfoundland
The Association of Disaffiliated Artists
The Art of Scott Keeping
The Art of Dave Sheppard

A fine art program is taught at Sir Wilfred Grenfell College in Corner Brook on the west coast of the province.
The Pouch Cove Residency program Since 1990, has provided live/work space to visiting artists from around the world. Their program provides artists with a calendar month's residency either on the edge of the North Atlantic in Pouch Cove or overlooking the Bay of Islands in Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada.

Eastern Edge Gallery
St. Michael's Printshop
Gerry Squires, Artist, art activist and teacher, much of Squires' large body of work finds its inspiration in the landscape and culture of Newfoundland.
Christopher Pratt
Mary Pratt, one of my favourite artists

I'll end here, but I know this list will branch out to a much longer list as the artist community in the province is prospering and this is very much just the tip of the iceberg.

Technorati tags: , ,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It isn't easy finding we low-key artist bunch. Seems to be that most Newfoundlanders are creative in one sense or another and accept it as just part of who we are. My cousin Dean is always shaking his head in amazement when I slop a bit of paint somewhere and discover it resembles something. My comeback is, I can't build a boat like you can. If the truth be known, I have difficulty lifting a hammer. Give me a paintbrush anytime. I've posted a few of my pieces on my blog direct from the town of Twillingate.
http://windshook.blogspot.com/