Sunday, July 23, 2006

A week later


On Sundays I have been taking photos of the goslings as a record of their growth. This week is no exception and they are now 7 weeks old. Their are several differences in just a week. The stripe on their heads and down their neck has suddenly appeared as well as the growth of feathers, giving them a scruffy, ruffled appearance. Its amazing just how much they have grown in such a short time. They are rapidly catching up on the adults in size. And all on grass and weeds...well I guess I have to count the stolen strawberries, peas and green beans too that they stuff down in the field when no one is looking.

I have made a start on a coloured pencil drawing - the daunting 'multicoloured white' piece. I've put about 3 hours into it so far and its approaching the ugly stage. Its that point where minimal layers are on the paper and the true blending of colours hasn't yet occured. Its at this point that it becomes very discouraging and I have to work hard to get past that and visualize the finished product.

The other project this weekend are cat images. One in watercolour, a black cat. Black is notorious difficult to capture as the highlights are really all that you see in the animal. The other is a sketch with Derwent Drawing pencils of a grey tabby. I will redo the last one as a larger drawing as the sketch isn't quite as I want it and the measurements of the head are off a bit.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

4 comments:

Robert Hiscock said...

Wow. That black cat watercolour is fantastic.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks rj.

MS said...

I can't wait to see the new cat drawing. Even when you're 'off' in measurements you still do wonderful work!

"JeanneG" said...

The goslings look like preteens now. All gangly and clumsy looking. I love the weekly updates. Thanks for the comment on my site about the self portrait. I see some of me in each one. A friend of mine said if I could take out the good piecesin each one and put them together, I might have a nice picture. Thanks, Jeanne