Sunday, July 01, 2007

Another cat

Gizmo
Graphite, 9 x 12
Copyright Jeanette Jobson


I promised a long time ago to do a drawing of a friend's cat, Gizmo. Well today I finally got around to it with this pencil drawing.

There does seem to be something quite drawable about cats and the public appeal is there as well, making them prime for sales.

Yesterday one of the Pekin female ducks was killed by the pond, presumably by a mink as not much else hangs out by the water. I had wondered why the ducks weren't in the pond in the late afternoon as they nearly always are. Then when evening came and they headed to the barn, one was missing and the discovery was made.

I really do dislike mink. They are such vicious killers and the farm has been struck again and again with them. I know its part of life on the farm and part of the risk taken when you have birds wandering around. But each time it happens I feel discouraged and saddened by it.

Maybe its time to get a duck watch dog or a big hungry barn cat, unlike the spoiled brat tomcat that currently resides on the sofa.

4 comments:

"JeanneG" said...

I never tire of seeing pictures of Tripod. With one leg missing, he deserves to be pampered.

Billie Crain said...

even missing a limb Tripod seems perfectly content. everytime you post a photo i have to smile. he's certainly one in a million.

sorry to hear about your duck. life can be so brutal sometimes. maybe a nice mink coat is in your future?

Mary said...

How sad about the ducks Jeanette, we lost two from our pond and think a cayote got them.

I could just hug Tripod!

Jeanette Jobson said...

He is pampered Jeanne, no doubt about it.

He's definitely a unique cat Billie. I don't know where he came from, but he's settled in quite nicely.

Mary, Tripod would have you carry him around all day and night if he could. I think he's making up for lack of affection during his time in the wild.

Frustrating about the ducks, isn't it? I know coyotes and mink take them, but its always sad when it happens.