Monday, July 02, 2007

Things in the woods

I started this drawing of Biscuit a couple of months ago, then it got put to the side while other projects took over. I discovered it and decided to do some more work on it today. I wanted to put the dog in a setting that he was most happy in - tearing up the lane into the woods, chasing bunnies and moose - always unsuccessfully.

I have roughed in the background and will expand on that over time as well as adding detail to the dog's fur. I added a remarque to the page, a classic for poor Biscuit, who always seemed to going in the opposite direction to the rabbit.

While gathering spagnum moss from a nearby marsh today, this little plant was found growing in it. It is, as far as I know, a form of a sundew plant, which is an insectivore, as it supplements its meagre food supply with insects that it catches in its sticky tendrils. I will try to keep this alive in a damp setting to see if it grows larger. I think its rather pretty and so tiny - about 2 inches high.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like this is going to be a lovely drawing (as usual!). I like the drawing of Gizmo in the previous post too.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks so much Dave. I can't resist drawing animals it seems.

Billie Crain said...

aren't forest floors the most amazing places? it's incredible what they yield. what a fascinating little plant!

as for Biscuit, his face reminds me of a golden retriever by the name of Dillon we had many years ago. he was such a puppy even when full grown. sounds like they both had the same luck on the hunt, too.

love the idea of the remarque, too. i never knew what those were called. you've taught me something new today, Jeanette!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Yes, they are a real treasure trove of finds Billie, aren't they? Its a matter of looking closely i guess.

Biscuit was part beagle, part who knows what and a goofball always.

I played around with a remarque. I think they're originally to be used on the mat of a drawing but I'm including it as the base of the drawing.