Monday, August 15, 2011

Symbolic colours



The other day I followed a link on Cath Sheard's blog to Mind Games.    The challenge on the blog was to come up with names for colours, then create the colours to match them.  Not names of objects that would have colours associated with them, but more abstract phrases that would make you think hard about what colour would represent it.

I've spent some time coming up with ideas and working on some colours around them.  The list seems to grow and I'm creating swatches of colour and seeing how they live up to their namesake.

Hot shower, disbelief, luscious, roadtrip, never ending, out of my depth, bbq on the beach, bleak house, 6 am......the list goes on as my my whirls around it.  Its a good exercise in colour mixing and a wonderful jumping off point for inspiration.  Why don't you give it a try and see what you come up with?

I used watercolour in this sample, but may switch to acrylics or oils for the next group.  The colours when scanned and tweaked still don't give perfect replicas of the hue and perhaps a photo may do better.  Next time.

12 comments:

michelle ward said...

Jeanette - glad you found your way over to us from our friend Cath. Love that you are considering all the possibilities words and phrases can present when faced with color matching them. You've claimed some clever ones already! Disbeleif, 6 am, Hot Shower...wow! Very cool stuff, and beautiful colors. Thanks for coming to play with us!

Celeste Bergin said...

what an interesting project! I like the colors that you assigned the words.
(I found your blog via Gary Everest and I saw that you have loved cemeteries since you were a child....me too! we have a kinship there!)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeanette - so cool to see you joining in :-) 'Bleak house' is perfect - what you have created feels exactly right. Love 'hot shower' too.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

This looks so much fun. I like 6am and hot shower. Definately going to have to have a go at this. Exercises like this to make you think differently are so good. Thank you for sharing.

jgr said...

HI Jeanette, So glad you joined the team! I love your colors and names-hot shower is my favorite.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Michelle, its a great concept to make me think and inspire me. THank you! I'll have better swatches soon, these are off the top of my head without much thought to them.

Celeste, welcome to the blog. And yes, it is interesting and can lead to all kinds of experimentation. Those cemeteries are fabulous for drawing and painting in, the older the better.

Thanks for the link to this Cath, its great fun to come up with the names then colours.

I'll be working on better swatches in the next few days Lisa. I think there are endless possiblities that help free up thinking. I'll look forward to seeing what you do.

jgr, thank you. These colours were a little rushed and I'd like to do more in acrylic or oils I think, so expect to see more swatches and names. :)

Parabolic Muse said...

These are great! Isn't coming up with the words first a great trick? I like your choices, and it's always cool to meet a new member of the team. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I love all of 'em! But my favorites are "6am" and "Bleak House." I just adore the names you came up with in the first place, and those colors are just luscious.

Melisa said...

Love the colors and the names, especially Bleak House and Neverending.

Karen Isaacson said...

6 AM is gorgeous, but it makes me realize it won't be long until I'm getting up in the dard again. I also really like 'out of my depth'. great post!

Anonymous said...

Bleak House and Disbelief have a certain amount of doubt about them, don't they? Wasn't this a great challenge? Michelle always inspires me to run to the studio. Looks like you really enjoyed this challenge as well. Love the way your mind works!

Michelle said...

Welcome to the Crusade! Lovely names and colours! 6am is lovely - I wonder, if we all created a "6am" colour, how much variation there would be?!?