Sunday, August 12, 2007

Junior

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ~Roger Caras
This is the master line drawing for a dog portrait that may also form part of a class that I'll teach in the fall. As so many people have pets, many artists have a need to know how to break down the construction of an animal and render the specific parts to enable them to create realistic likenesses of their own animals and of commissioned animals.

I enjoy the process of creating an animal drawing and while I need to provide a likeness for someone to recognize the animal, I have a little more leeway than in human portraiture. I haven't drawn an openmouthed dog for some time, so it will be interesting to tackle this one.

No comments: