Sunday, April 20, 2008

Rain starts play

Indian food stall merchant
watercolour, pen & ink, 9 x 12
copyright Jeanette Jobson


I'm not a watercolourist. My preference is dry media, but I do come over to the wet side now and then and dabble. I love the effect of watercolour when done well and for every one artist who is great at watercolours, there are 100 who are not, including me.

Like any other medium, it takes practice to become proficient at it and even for the experts, there are still things that are not quite predictable which can make or break a painting.

I thought I'd try my hand at a drawing from the Weekend Drawing Event at WetCanvas and chose this image of an Indian snack/tea merchant. I think what appeals to me most about the image is the unfamiliarity of the subject matter. I can't relate experiences to it, yet there is a familiarity there too which appeals.

As predicted, my watercolour is weak so I tried to beef it up a bit with some pen and ink. Areas I like, areas are muddy, areas are non existent, but the general impression is there.

I have been trying to get some more jewelry produced and am finally making some inroads into sets. Necklace, bracelet and earrings. it sounds very 1950s when I think of matching everything, but I always think it looks good when worn. There are bracelets that go with these sets, but I haven't photographed them yet. Yesterday's light was awful due to rain so it wasn't worth even trying to get a decent shot.

These are this weekend's efforts. Rain does wonders for productivity.

Sodalite, blue and copper rimmed glass beads, intersected with silver rice beads, around a large donut of dumortierite. The clasp is sterling silver as are the ear wires in the earrings. They are packaged in a beaded organza bag, tied with ribbon.



Wooden beads, carved nuts and tiger eye with a large focal stone of tiger eye wrapped in brass and copper, with an antique brass clasp. The earrings have sterling silver ear wires.

This set comes with a reusuable bronze organza bag tied with brown ribbon.

4 comments:

Billie Crain said...

i love the blue and copper pieces! what a nice touch to add the organza bags, too.

i think you did a fine job of dipping into the world of watercolor. a tip i picked up along the way...start out with a limited palette. for example, one blue, one red and one yellow. less chance of making 'mud' that way.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Billie. The colours seem really popular right now. And I love these bags that I found. They're just perfect for holding a full set.

You're right about limiting the palette. I'll try that next time for sure.

Jennifer Rose said...

The jewellery pieces are gorgeous! Putting them in the little bags is a good idea :)

Jo Castillo said...

Your watercolor is nice and soft, a bit mysterious, too.

Pretty jewelry.